Governments and international authorities publish sanctions lists to combat persons engaged in illegal activities. Sanction lists include sanctioned people, organizations, or governments. Firms control individuals, organizations, or governments on these lists as they may pose a high risk. Economic sanctions are an important part of the fight against financial crime for AML regulators. There are serious penalties for breaching sanctions.
Therefore, companies have to apply sanction control to their customers during the customer account opening processes. Also, the sanction screening list is among Customer Due Diligence procedures. Companies must also implement sanction control to their existing customers at certain time intervals after the customer onboarding process. Therefore organizations must carefully consider their compliance status.
What is The Purpose of Sanctions?
Financial crimes reduce confidence and economic stability in their financial systems. Sanctions became even more important with Anti Money Laundering laws or rules. Companies that have to comply with international law follow these sanction lists regularly. Blocked persons are prohibited from making financial transactions. Imposed sanctions are aimed at increasing financial stability and confidence.
Another purpose of the sanctions is based on the conflict of interests of the countries. While countries want to succeed in their foreign policies, they may have problems with these other countries. When these problems cannot be solved, countries find the solution by imposing international sanctions on the other country, for example, restrictions on trade. As a result of these sanctions, it restricts its citizens' and companies' cooperation with that country. Some of the sanctions imposed by countries are:
- The US imposed economic and political sanctions against Iran in 1979.
- In 1950, the US imposed diplomatic sanctions on North Korea because of North Korea's nuclear program. (US Sanctions)
Who Can I Find these Lists?
Many of the Sanction Screening Lists include targets for criminal financing of terrorist activities. Sanctions Screening lists include individuals, organizations or all nations involved in criminal financing of the following activities:
- Drug trafficking
- Terrorist financing
- Human rights violations
- Money laundering
- International contract violation
- Weapon proliferation
What Are The Sanction Lists?
Governments and financial authorities around the world keep lists of sanctions. These lists are public. Some of these lists are:
- United Nations Sanctions (UN)
- US Consolidated Sanctions (US Sanction Lists)
- OFAC — Specially Designated Nationals (SDN)
- Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (Canada)
- Bureau of Industry and Security (US)
- Department of State, AECA Debarred List (US)
- Department of State, Nonproliferation Sanctions (US)
- EU Financial Sanctions
- UK Financial Sanctions (HMT)
- Australian Sanctions
- Consolidated Canadian Autonomous Sanctions List
- Consolidated Sanctions List Of The Kyrgyz Republic
- EEAS Consolidated List
- SDFM Terror List
- Us Cia World Leaders Pep List
- World Presidents Pep List
- CoE Assembly Pep List
- Every Politician Pep List
- Switzerland Consolidated List
- Capital Market Board Of Turkey Operation Banned List
- Interpol Wanted List
- Turkish Terror Wanted List
- Interpol Yellow Wanted List
- Interpol UN Wanted List
Sanction Lists Screening for AML Compliance
Sanction lists screening is one of the Anti-Money Laundering and Customer Due Diligence procedures. Companies have to implement AML risk assessment in customer onboarding and customer monitoring processes. AML regulators impose heavy AML fines on companies that fail to comply with CDD procedures. That's why companies have to sanction their customers to avoid legal penalties and comply with the coercive measure.
Sanction Scanner database contains more than a thousand sanctions lists from more than two hundred countries. AML Name Screening Software makes the sanction screening processes of businesses fast and automatic. You can contact us to get information about our most suitable AML solutions for your company.